The editor wishes to express his gratitude to a number of institutions and persons who helped and supported him.
The University Library Duisburg-Essen provided us with the technical infrastructure for this online edition. I am especially grateful to Frank Lützenkirchen who constructed and organized it.
The Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft DFG (German Research Foundation) supported this project though a financial grant for three years.
A first version of the application for the project was developed and written by Dr. Sonia Abun-Nasr.
Dr. Sabine Voßkamp worked on the project during the time of the financial support through the DFG. She searched for the material in different archives she visited. She took photographs of the letters or asked for them to be photographed. She also began with the transcription of major parts of the comprehensive collections from the National Archives, the Research Library in Gotha and the State Archives in Hamburg.
A number of people helped me to read letters in foreign and ancient languages:
Aicha Ben Brahim, Svenja Budiak, Prof. Dr. Justus Cobet, Dr. Bettina Marx, Dr. Gabriel Miller, Simone Mura, Ursula Philippi, PD Dr. Astrid Windus und Prof. Dr. Stephanie Zehnle.
Last but not least I have to thank the following archives and libraries who gave permission to include letters in their custody in this edition:
- State Archives Hamburg
- State and University Library Hamburg
- Research Library Gotha (Archives of the Perthes Publishing House
- National Archives, London
- British Library, London
- State Library Berlin
- University Library Freiburg im Breisgau
- Archive of the Berlin-Brandenburg Academie of Science
- University Library Basel
- Royal Geographical Society, London
- Bodleian Library, Rhodes House, Oxford University
- National Library of France, Paris
- Lower Saxonian State- und University Library Göttingen
- Dr. Konstantin von Martius and the Bavarian State Library Munich
- Church Missionary Archive, University of Birmingham
- Prof. Dr. Achim von Oppen, Transcripts from the Family Archives of the von Schubert family